Confused on How to decide On the Best Roofing Material for your roof? You can be assured that at the end of this article, you won’t be.
You understand the importance of the roof. As the main part of the house, you need to ensure that you are using the best quality material for your roof. And you choose this for having a long-lasting roof. Materials are an important factor and each material has different qualities. A little investigation on it can help you end up with the best material for your roof. Once you have chosen your material, a roofing company can install the tiles on your roof with their roof installation service.
Different Types of Roofing Materials
Before you decide on your roofing material, it is important you know the different types of roofing materials that you can choose from.
Here is a list along with a brief detail about the different types of roofing materials.
- Rolled Roofing – Rolled roofing material is mainly used for residential roofs that have a low-sloped roof. You can also use this material on roofs of sheds and shops and other outbuildings. This material offers a quick solution for your low-slopped roof in a very cheap budget.
- Built-up Roofing – This is one of the oldest ways to take care of very low-pitched roofs. This method constructs several layers of roofing that is saturated hot asphalt. You can get two to four layers with finely crushed stones that make your roof very durable.
- Membrane roofing – Another option you can go with for low-pitch or flat roof is membrane roofing. You can choose from different types of membranes. EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) is considered as one of the best materials for membrane roofing. Sometimes it is also referred to as rubber roofing.
- Asphalt composite shingles – The most popular type of roofing material is the Asphalt composite shingles. This is very popular in North America. The Asphalt composite shingles are made of a fiberglass base and topped with asphalt and mineral granules. Almost all roofing companies are familiar with this material and how to install them.
- Standing Seam Metal Roofing – This is the most common type of roofing that you will find. The roofing panels are made of aluminum or steel and it helps to keep the moisture out. This kind of roofing is mostly found in regions where there is heavy snowfall or changes of wildfire as this roofing material is completely fireproof.
- Metal Shingles/Shakes – If you are looking for an alternative for the standing seam metal roofing, then metal shingles are the type of roofing you should go for. Metal owners who want the benefits of the metal usually choose this type of roofing material as an alternative.
- Wood Shingle or Shakes – One of the most attractive materials for your roof is wood. However, attractive things have a good price tag on it as well. Wood roofing can be quite expensive. If your area has a lot of moisture and has potential dangers of wildfire, wood should be off your list.
- Clay tile – Clay is a roofing material that is found mostly in the southern coastal regions or the desert regions. This is because clay tiles protect you from a hot climate which, these regions have. Clay tiles can last for a long time but also, can be expensive as well.
- Concrete Tile – People looking for an alternative to clay tiling can choose concrete tiles. You will get similar advantages that you would have got from clay tile. Also, the installation process is also very similar to the clay tile. You can repaint it to your favorite color and the cost is less as well.
- Slate Shingles – Slate shingles happen to be the finest roofing material one can ask for. This material is for the owners who want nothing less than the finest material on their roof. You need specialized roofers with specialized installing skills to do this job for you as installing this roofing material can be quite tricky.
How to Decide On the Best Roofing Material
Since you now have an idea about the different types of roofing material, this will help you with how to decide On the Best Roofing Material. The different types will help you choose the kind of material you want for your roof. And the following tips are going to help to decide. The tips that are mentioned below are the crucial factors that you should keep in mind while choosing the best roofing material for your roof.
The Durability of Your Roof
This factor should be at the very top of your priority list. Roofing can be quite expensive depending on the material you choose. You wouldn’t want constant repair work done on your roof. Therefore, you would need to choose a roofing material that would last you for a long time. Generally, aluminum and steel are considered to be the most durable materials for roofing. This is because they can withstand a lot of weather abuse.
Budget and Cost
Everything starts with the budget and the cost of everything. You first need to decide on a budget that you are willing to spend. Based on your budget you have to select a material that serves all your purposes. It’s always advised that you best stay prepared for making any sort of compromises because roofing can be a costly job.
The Appearance of the Roof
Appearance is always a key factor. Whether it is for the roof or clothes. You need to have a good appearance. Always spend time deciding on the right material that compliments your house. If you cannot choose a good appearance for your roof, go for a neutral color or ask an expert for their advice. Keep in mind that sometimes a good appearance of the roof can be a bit costly.
Keep Hazards in Mind
The living saving factor that you need to keep in mind mostly. Hazards are mostly unpredictable. The most concerning hazards of them all is the flaming hazard. There are roofing materials that will protect your house from fire hazards. Also, you need to keep in mind the kind of climate that you have. You need to go with materials that go with your climate.
Many overlook this factor thinking it’s a just installation. Most fail to realize that there is more to this than what you think. The concerning fact about the installation process is the weight of the material. You need to understand which are the ones that are heaviest and your roof can take the load of. Heavy material can have a huge impact on the integrity of your house.
Now that you have most of the basic knowledge about how to decide On the Best Roofing Material, you can now buy it and start installing it with the help of expert roofers. You never know the effects of snow on your roof and what it can cost you. Keep these factors in mind always before moving forward with finalizing your roofing material. Understand deeply what each type of material can do to your roof and the benefits of having that material. Hopefully, if you have understood everything mentioned here, you will be able to choose the best roofing material for your roof and give your home that elegant look that always wanted while keeping it the same at the same time as well.